Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Update from Steve, Oct 22, 2009

I have been studying with my Muslim friends, each named Abduli; one is the teacher of the new Islamic Primary School of Lassin, the other is a tailor, motorcycle driver, and all-round great guy. Yesterday, after walking home from school (3 miles), I stopped in town and visited Abduli the teacher first.

As we entered his ‘study’, an austere room with a book case, chair, bench, door and small window, he mentioned that his left arm really hurt him from the top of his shoulder to his elbow. I explained my other career (not the school teacher, as everyone knows me here), and asked if he would permit me to ‘work’ on his shoulder. Before beginning to work, I asked if he would offer prayer. Holding his hands cupped in front of him, he prayed. I need to hear this prayer again; how interesting is his relationship with God. Now, with his verbal permission given (no lawyers here!), I began to work on a widely inflamed left shoulder and stiffening elbow. We did what we could without any pain medication (STM & TFM). I gave him a simple home exercise program; within the limits of pain (Codman’s). Then we began the second lesson of the Housa “house a” language; used by many of the Muslims / Falani people in this area.

He stopped teaching after presenting about 8 words & phrases, and we called it a day. He also sent me home with 4 small avocados; my favorites and an important part of getting enough calories here.

Well, today I was passing near his home on my way to market; today is the big Lassin Market day. I met a beaming Abduli. “Look at my shoulder! See how much better it moves.” He was very pleased. Progress was significant, but only about 20% of normal, up from 5%. How happy I was to be able to contribute something of worth to him. I can see how this is another in a series of steps to something of eternal worth.

No comments:

Post a Comment